The Canucks finally returned home for a week after basically a month on the road with a few home games scattered between. Today, they faced off against the NJ Devils, looking to score against nemesis Mackenzie Blackwood, who has had their number the last 2 seasons. He beat the Canucks twice last year, including a shutout and he shutout the Canucks a couple of weeks ago. A couple of lineup changes to note. To the relief of many fans, Loui Eriksson was a healthy scratch in favor of Adam Gaudette. Jacob Markstrom was back in goal after Thatcher Demko started Friday in Winnipeg. Could the Canucks snap the two game losing streak and solve Blackwood? Here is tonight’s game recap.
- The Devils opened the scoring almost 12 minutes into the game as Wayne Simmons was johnny on the spot to stuff home a rebound past Jacob Markstrom for a PP marker
- 22 seconds later, Jesper Bratt tipped one up and over Markstrom
- The Canucks got one back just over 12 and a half minutes into the 2nd period as Brock Boeser raced down the wing and snapped one off the post and in to end a 115 minute shutout streak by Mackenzie Blackwood against the Canucks
- Jacob Markstrom stopped 25/27 shots
- Final score: Devils 2 Canucks 1
- Once again, Mackenzie Blackwood gave Canucks shooters fits. He stopped 30/31 shots and the puck seemingly had eyes for his pads. The Canucks had some good looks and scoring chances, but could not get the puck past Blackwood, except when Boeser took a perfect shot when Blackwood lost the net a bit. TheDevils also blocked 23 shots. You have to find a way to get pucks through.
- Jacob Markstrom also had a good night, stopping 25/27 shots. The two goals against were not his fault.
- The Canucks won 80% of the draws, led by Jay Beagle and JT Miller, who both won 80% of the draws they took. Elias Pettersson (67% success rate) also had a good night in the faceoff circle
- The Canucks outhit the Devils 24-13, led by Jake Virtanen, who had 4 hits
- The Canucks blocked 15 shots, led by Alex Edler who blocked 4 shots
- Up next, the Canucks take on the Nashville Predators on Tuesday. The Predators won two of the three games of the season series and both teams got three points and scored ten goals. Should be a good game